Monday, February 7, 2011

First busy week ahead

Last week was pretty low-key, since my boss was on holidays and she didn’t leave me with many tasks to do. I had some introductory meetings with colleagues from other areas and departments to get to know them better, their work field and also to understand the business better. I went to have a look at a crystal lamp, which I’m now bidding on online, since the store price is much higher than what I saw on eBay. It’s really nice and would fit perfectly into my new apartment. However, since I’ve seen it gone away for half price online, I also only want to pay a little bit more than that. 

On Friday evening I went out to an Asian party to celebrate the Chinese New Year and I was quite disappointed. The location was small, the crowd more non-Asian and the atmosphere was missing. But after some drinks, I went dancing and it got more entertaining. In the end I was back at the B at 5.30am in the morning, in bed by 6 and got up at 8.30am to go to Schwerin to visit a friend. Besides the very nasty weather – it was non-stop raining and very windy, it was very nice and relaxing. We went sightseeing despite the bad weather conditions, got a private tour of the Schwerin cathedral for an hour (very interesting!) and made a quick stop at the castle. The city center is very cute and the city itself is partly rebuild after Hamburg, which made it more special. 

Schwerin Caste
Schwerin market square (reminded me of Tallinn town hall square)

Furthermore, Schwerin is surrounded picturesque lakes, of which my friend literally lives at. Unfortunately, I could not enjoy the view due to the constant rain, but I’ll be back in the summer for sure. :) It’s just an hour away from Hamburg and the ideal weekend trip to the beach! We didn’t (or more couldn’t) do that much (outside), just had a typical Mecklenburg-Vorpommern meal (for me very German), but it was delicious! I have never ordered non-Chinese duck before, but since it was a specialty of the province, I had to. I also never had “Klöße” before – some kind of German dumplings made of potatoes, but I really finished the whole plate (except for the decoration and the duck skin). Yum! 

Crispy Mecklenburg farmer's duck filled with with dried fruit, apple red cabbage and home-made potato Klöße
We spent the rest of the Saturday evening at home having cake, chai tea latte with chocolate, watching DVD and chatting until 2pm at night (despite the lack of sleep the night before). On Sunday, we had a long late breakfast, went for a very short walk along the beach (a must – even though it was still raining) and made pasta with salmon, before I had to leave again. It was the perfect girl’s weekend!

DVD "Atonement" with wine and chocolates
A must-picture at the beach (with my friend's apartment in the background)

The whole day today I was sooo tired, although I should have been relaxed, but maybe I was just too long outside in the weekend in the nasty weather. But this week is going to be very busy. My boss is back and it’s our monthly closing. Today I already spent 11hours at work and it’s just the beginning. Therefore, this is it for now. I intended to blog more often, but I’m so tired after work that I don’t feel like blogging at all. I think I just have to get used to work life. I hope the pictures make up for it though. ;-)

Have a fabulous week!

No comments:

Post a Comment