Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leap year

It has been again toooo long since I last blogged, so I use this rare day to write a little update about the past 6 weeks. I am more and more enjoying living in a big city and always discovering and exploring new things, whether it is new areas (whilst trying out new ways to work by coincidence), new restaurants and getting to know new people. Hamburg has so many opportunities, as I definitely see it as a growing, modern city that still has much in store.
On the work front everything is still the same, although we try to cut back on the many working hours, improve our processes and way of working to allow a cleaner outcome. There are still those busier times, where you have to meet one deadline after the other, but somehow I like it to get challenged and work under stress.
My apartment still looks the same, but I got a new stove + oven, since my old one smelled funny everything I used it in the past weeks. And .. my couch will finally, FINALLY arrive after 5 months delivery time (pictures will follow). I honestly don’t remember for 100% how it looked, felt like and I am a bit worried that I don’t like it anymore, but on the other hand I will finally have something to sit on and start arranging the rest of my living room, like the room divider (from sleeping area to living area), a small carpet, a tv table and ultimately a new TV. I now have a very old, boxy TV that fulfills its purpose, but that’s it.
Also I just learned today that the little bakery that is supposed to open down my street will start selling from tomorrow onwards from a vending car. Normally I am very lazy and go out the door the very last minute that I have to and hardly eat any breakfast. Plus the bakery that is close to my house does not taste and the service is horrible. Anyway, since it’s on my way, I’m sure I won’t skip my breakfast so often anymore.
Doesn't the rasberry-yogurt-tarte look delicious?
For the rest, I have been home last weekend for the first time this year, helped out my parents a bit, met up with some friends and scored some good deals at the McArthurGlen outlet in Roermond. Also tried out La Baracca, an Italian restaurant from the same owners as Vapiano in Düsseldorf, but was not very convinced by it. You also get a card like Vapiano, but you order via a PC-tablet at your table. This tablet contains all the information you need (description of the dish, price, picture) and the dish is quickly served after ordering (maybe due to the lack of other customers). However, the dishes are very small, the pasta is only nearly al dente and the special something is missing. I must admit that the menu and the décor is fancier then Vapiano’s and the only self-service you can choose for is to get wine from the tap, but other than that there is no extra value for me to drive all the way to La Baracca (outside the city center, just like Hamburg that is located in Hafencity).
My new gem in Hamburg is “Hanmi”, a Korean restaurant that satisfies all my Korean food cravings, since they offer Korean BBQ, bibimbap and kimchi! Also half of the clientele is Korean, which in my eyes is in favor of the restaurant. The prices are very reasonable, so I will go back for sure!
Anyway, this weekend I have more time to take care of some long overdue household duties and things I should have done weeks ago. I also need to start with my tax computation .. and if I have some time left, I will come back to my vacation summaries ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment