Saturday, March 5, 2011

First apartment

Can you believe it took me 28 years to have my very own apartment? But it FINALLY happened and I’m sooo thrilled. Last week was moving week and it was a really rough week, since nothing ran smoothly, but why should it? I had a busy weekend at home, spending it with running from furniture store to furniture store, packing and throwing away a lot of things – I had no idea I had so much stuff .. so many clothes and papers (I used to write a lot of letters when I was younger) – I also threw away a lot of old diaries and even found money in them!
Only part of my boxes and stuff ..
Nevertheless, I could enjoy some good sushi, seafood, Chinese restaurant food and had breakfast with the girls.

On Monday the moving people came after lunch time, quickly packed my whole life into a transporter and drove off to Hamburg. Except for forgetting the clothing boxes to hang my dresses and other hanging clothes into them, everything was fine – so far. I left 1.5 hours afterwards, since the transporter can’t drive that fast on the highway. I arrived after 3h45min and got only flashed once :P I was a little too quick .. 
My first orchid on the way to Hamburg (see red circle)
Anyway, I arrived around 8.30pm and started cleaning the bathroom closets and kitchen cabinets, whilst waiting for the moving people to arrive. I had to call them to hear that they will be arriving at 10pm, which means they needed 7.5 hours for 430km!!! When they arrived, they said that they couldn’t assemble all my furniture and would do it on Wednesday morning. They quickly set up my bed and left. I was understanding and agreed to it (actually, I had no other choice). Afterwards I cleaned up a little, since they didn’t put all the boxes into the right room (despite the labels) and left stains from their shoes in the kitchen. I got carried away a little and went to bed around 2.30am, although having to get up for work at 7am. I slept very badly and worked really late since I missed two days of work. The next morning, I woke up around 6am, since I had so much on my mind – the moving people and the handyman were supposed to come around 7am. Around 8am, I was desperately trying to reach the moving people and after a while I only got a SMS back that their car broke down on the highway and they couldn’t make it until March (!), which was more than one week later by that time. I was so mad and upset!!! Luckily the handyman fixed everything and I could at least cross one thing of my list. I made some arrangements and on a very short notice, two handymen came out to assemble all my furniture and put up my lights. I thought they would manage it within 2 hours, but they almost took 4 hours and I was impressed – also with the very congenial price. Afterwards I was so glad that everything was standing and shining were it should be. 
The two very helpful handymen
On Saturday morning, I also woke up early because I was expecting my first own washing machine. The people came early, but of course, something was wrong – the stupid cables were too short and they couldn’t finish their job. So I had to run off to the DIY store and buy the extra equipment. Just as I paid for it, the electronics company called out of the blue and said that they got the extra stuff and wanted to come by and fix it. I didn’t expect it, said I’d already bought the equipment and asked them if they could come anyway, since I didn’t see myself connecting the washing machine cables. They came in the evening and fixed it within no time for a small compensation. Still not everything was perfect, since my water outlet is leaking slightly, but the caretaker should be able to fix it. 

My first washing machine!!
Sunday was a relaxed day, fixing some minor things, having phô and making my first home-cooked meal. The only things left are my curtains for the living area and kitchen, as well as buying a sleeping sofa and some things for the kitchen (e.g. microwave, spatulas, etc.). Then I can post pictures! ;-)

This week was a tough week for me at work as well, since my boss is away and I had to deal with some issues. I stayed at work until 10pm yesterday and I was really, really exhausted. Today was the first time so far I left work before 4.30pm (and I honestly felt a little guilty), but I headed straight to Berlin to see my bestie J., where I’m posting this blog now. I already feel better since its so much fun with her around. We haven’t really planned anything yet, just hanging out and relaxing ..  hope you all had a better week and will have an even better weekend!

1 comment:

  1. congratulations! VERY exciting :)
    can't wait to see more pictures!

    ReplyDelete